Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Confession!

I have a secret confession to make - one that I know will make me the butt of jokes of the "elite" who love to talk about gaffes and such. But since I have long nourished this feeling (meaning, I've nourished this for the past 3 months!), I am going to come out and say it.

I am a bit in love with Joe Biden, our VP elect.

For many years I've read about people referring to so-and-so as authentic, real, oh so real! And during the election, the media got particularly strident about authenticity.

I could never figure out what they meant about a "real" person until I heard Biden speak on the stump once. I had heard him speak many times before, but this once was particularly powerful. He spoke about America being ONE NATION, UNDER GOD, INDIVISIBLE. I could sense he meant what he said, there was no facade, no learning and regurgitating of lines - he just spoke from his heart. When I heard him, it finally sank in, what "authenticity" meant.

And I am in love with the idea of an authentic person. It warms the cockles of my heart.